Comparing cars with vegan interior and trim options
More and more of us are looking for cars with good vegan options and choosing vehicles that don't have leather or suede interiors. Car manufacturers are paying attention too, and vegans now have more options than ever. In this guide we look at the most popular cars across seven categories: Sedans, hatchbacks, crossovers, SUVs, coupes, minivans, and vans / trucks, and tell you exactly what trim levels and interior options are, and are not vegan.
What cars have vegan, leather-free interiors?
When it comes to buying a car, vegans need to think about more than just fuel efficiency, safety, reliability, style, and environmental friendliness. We need to know if the interior is animal-product free. After all, the only animal product you want on the inside of your car is dog hair — although dog nose art on the windows is inevitable.
Because many trims feature leather, finding vegan-friendly car interiors can be tricky. You want a car with cloth or leatherette upholstery and without a leather-wrapped steering wheel or gear stick. Scanning through all those makes, models, and trim levels takes ages — we know, we bought a new car in 2017, and spent hours reading through car brochures to find leather-free interiors.
You shouldn’t have to go through that, so here’s the Kindly Geek Guide to the most popular cars, and all the interior options that are, and are not vegan. If you’re levelling up to a new vehicle, check out exactly what car trims you can get that are leather-free.
The types of vegan cars that we cover
- Car types: 7 — sedans, hatchbacks, crossovers, SUVs, coupes, minivans, and vans and trucks.
- Car manufacturers: 5 — Ford, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, and Subaru.
- Car models with vegan trims: 65 across all types.
- Number of vegan trims: 127.
- Number of engine types: 4 — gas, hybrid, electric, and hydrogen.
We've sorted each of the cars below by price (low to high).
Sedan cars with vegan interiors and trims
The ever-popular sedan car has plenty of leather-free, vegan interior options. We currently list 23 sedan cars from five manufacturers with 50 vegan interior options.
Hatchback cars with vegan interiors and trims
There are many hatchback cars with vegan interiors. We currently list eight hatchback cars from four manufacturers with 13 vegan interior options.
Crossover cars with vegan interiors and trims
Crossover SUVs are an increasingly-popular type of car. We list eight crossovers cars from four manufacturers with 11 vegan interior options.
SUVs with vegan interiors and trims
There are several full-size SUVs with vegan interiors. We list nine SUVs from four manufacturers with 12 vegan interior options.
Coupe cars with vegan interiors and trims
There are more sporty coupes with vegan interiors than you might think. We list two coupes from two manufacturers with five vegan interior options.
Minivans with vegan interiors and trims
If you need a vehicle with more seating, there are several minivans with vegan, leather-free interiors. We list five minivans from four manufacturers with ten vegan interior options.
Vans and trucks with vegan interiors and trims
Surprisingly, a number of vans and trucks have a good selection of vegan interiors. We list ten vans and trucks from four manufacturers with 26 vegan interior options.
Kindly Geek Notes
- We provide objective, unbiased, factual information to help ethical vegans make more informed choices and purchasing decisions. Any opinions shared are Kindly Geek's own.
- All logos, trademarks, products, brands, quotes, relevant images, and other media, are registered and owned by the businesses mentioned in this guide, and are used under "Fair Use" guidelines to provide information, context, and insight.
- No endorsement, opposition, or ownership of these trademarks, images, brands, quotes, businesses, products, and other media is claimed or implied by Kindly Geek.
- Any areas marked "n/a" simply means that information was not available.
- We strive to keep this information accurate. If you're aware of any changes, errors, false statements, or omissions, please get in touch and we'll correct them.
- Always check brochures and speak to the car manufacturer and your car dealer about vegan interiors and trims. Car details change all the time, so research and confirm the interior option you are interested in is vegan, before ordering or buying.
- Further information is available in our disclaimer.
- Thanks to Edmunds, the IIHS, CSR Hub, and the car manufacturer for publishing useful information that we have shared in this guide for informational purposes.
A small personal note
In case you’re wondering, we bought a Subaru Forester SUV with the 2.5i Premium trim — it’s a completely vegan, cloth interior. Subaru are also a zero-waste manufacturer, and Subaru in the US supports the ASPCA, with many local dealerships donating to local animal charities. We’ve been delighted with the purchase.
Buckthorne, the Kindly Geek Carriage, complete with Mrs. Kindly Geek.